NOTE: Purchases of Taming Worry Dragons materials are currently unavailable from BC Children’s Hospital due to technical issues with the BC Children’s Bookstore website. Please check back soon, as purchases of Taming Worry Dragons will be available again shortly.
In the meantime, Taming Worry Dragons materials are still available for borrowing or purchasing in the following ways:
1. The following materials for an 8-week loan through the BC Children’s Hospital’s Family Support and Resource Centre:
- Taming worry dragons: A manual for children, parents, and other coaches, 4th ed.
- Worry taming for teens
- Taming worry dragons: Therapy group for anxious children - Children's workbook, 3rd ed.
- Taming worry dragons: Therapy group for anxious children - Facilitator's manual, 3rd ed.
- Taming worry dragons: Therapy group for anxious children - Parent group manual
- The Kid's Guide to Taming Worry Dragons, 2nd ed.
To borrow a resource, click the hyperlinked titles, and click ‘add to list’. When you have completed your selection(s), click ‘My list’ at the top of the page. Then, proceed to check-out. You will be asked for your mailing and contact information. You will receive the item(s) free of charge, via Canada Post. You can use the pre-paid enclosed mailing label to return your package when you have finished. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for any assistance with this borrowing process.
2. You can purchase Taming Worry Dragons online from Odin Books.
About Taming Worry Dragons
Taming Worry Dragons is a creative approach to CBT that is designed to help anxious children learn how to cope with their worries. The approach can be adapted by therapists and parents to match the developmental level and interests of the child involved. The first Taming Worry Dragons manual was published in 1995, and the program is now used in schools and mental health programs for children throughout BC and across Canada and the US. A number of manuals have been developed since this time, and have expanded to include manuals for teens, school professionals, and health professionals.
We are very pleased to announce that there are 2 updated and 1 new manual now available as part of the Taming Worry Dragons program:
- Taming Worry Dragons: Therapy Group for Anxious Children– Facilitator’s Manual (3rd Edition)
- Taming Worry Dragons: Therapy Group for Anxious Children– Children’s Workbook (3rd Edition)
- Taming Worry Dragons: Therapy Group for Anxious Children– Parent Group Manual (3rd Edition).
These editions integrate recent updates to the TWD group therapy program at BC Children’s Hospital, Outpatient Mental Health, Mood & Anxiety Disorders Clinic, which has been helping anxious children for over 20 years. The length and content of the program has been extensively revised and updated based on emerging research on anxiety in children and families.
Session-by-session outlines for facilitators are accompanied by worksheets in the Children’s Workbook and corresponding materials for parents in the Parent Group Manual. These materials are designed for group treatment, but can also be adapted for individual therapy, as therapists have done with the previous editions. Prior editions of the Facilitator’s and Children’s Manuals have been available, but the Parent Manual is newly available.
Each of these manuals is designed to accompany the core reference manual “Taming Worry Dragons: A Manual for Children, Parents, and Other Coaches, 4th Edition, or for older children and teens, “Worry Taming for Teens”.