Skip to main content

My child needs help now. What can I do?

If your child is having a mental health or substance use crisis and needs immediate help, call 911 or go to your local hospital’s emergency room (ER).

  • If it is unsafe for you to take your child to the ER, call 911 to assist you. Let the call taker know this is a "child/youth mental health emergency." 

These are a few examples of times when you should seek immediate help:

If your child is…

  • Thinking about and has a plan of trying to end their life
  • Seeing, hearing or feeling things that aren’t real and/or has beliefs that can’t possibly be true
  • Experiencing an alcohol or drug overdose, or has taken a dangerous combination of substances (like medications and alcohol) 
  • Demonstrating behaviour that is putting them or others at risk of immediate serious harm 

If your child is thinking about ending their own life, or needs someone to talk to about suicidal thoughts or ideas:

  • Call 1-800-SUICIDE (1-800-784-2433) for the BC Suicide Prevention and Intervention Line. Available in over 140 languages using a language service.
  • Call 1-800-588-8717 for the BC KUU-US Indigenous Crisis and Support Line.  
  • Call or text 988 for the National Suicide Crisis Helpline. Available in English and French.

For mental health or substance use crisis support:

  • Call 310-6789 for the BC Mental Health Support Line anytime for emotional support, information and resources. Available in over 140 languages using a language service.

If your child doesn’t need immediate help, you can reach out for support by:

Was this information helpful?

Is this helpful?
Where You Are Podcast

Through real stories, expertise, and practical tips, this podcast helps families promote their mental health and wellness, navigating important topics to meet you where you are in your journey.