Skip to main content

My child has a family doctor. What can they help with?

If you are concerned about your child’s mental health, a great place to start is with a family doctor (also called a general practitioner (GP) or primary care physician). The doctor can provide care for many mental health and substance use issues.

Family doctors can often rule out other medical conditions and can sometimes:

  • Diagnose mental health disorders
  • Provide treatment
  • Prescribe medications

The doctor might refer your child to specialized services if needed, such as:

  • A doctor who specializes in the care of children (a pediatrician)
  • A doctor who specializes in mental health

Your doctor will usually be involved and important for follow-up care even if you see a specialist or use other community services (such as Child & Youth Mental Health).

Was this information helpful?

Is this helpful?
Where You Are Podcast

Through real stories, expertise, and practical tips, this podcast helps families promote their mental health and wellness, navigating important topics to meet you where you are in your journey.