Skip to main content

I think my child might have ADHD, what can I do?

ADHD (Attention-Deficit/ Hyperactivity Disorder) is a common brain-based disorder in children and youth. Children and youth with ADHD have challenges with regulating their attention (having too much or too little focus), and many also struggle with restlessness and impulsivity. 

If you think your child might have ADHD, talk to your doctor (family physician or pediatrician). They will assess and may be able to diagnose and treat ADHD. Or they may refer your child to a specialist who can diagnose and treat.

You can also seek out treatment with your local Child and Youth Mental Health (CYMH) team. They may be able to do an assessment. If not, they will direct you to more specialized resources in your community. If your child has other mental health challenges, like anxiety or depression, the CYMH team can provide treatment for these other challenges.

You can also learn more about ADHD and find resources on our website. This includes an online ADHD parenting course, as well as our ADHD webinar series and ADHD Basics for Families podcast. For parent support groups or other services that might be available, please contact the Kelty Centre. For example, there is a free virtual ADHD parent support group available to families across BC. 

Was this information helpful?

Is this helpful?
Where You Are Podcast

Through real stories, expertise, and practical tips, this podcast helps families promote their mental health and wellness, navigating important topics to meet you where you are in your journey.